Most of you will know Marshalls’ Monologue from an episode of HIMYM:
“Just a Burger? Just a burger. Robin, it’s so much more than “just a burger.” I mean…that first bite—oh, what heaven that first bite is. The bun, like a sesame freckled breast of an angel, resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below, flavors mingling in a seductive pas de deux. And then…a pickle! The most playful little pickle! Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce and a…a patty of ground beef so exquisite, swirling in your mouth, breaking apart, and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread, Robin. This is God, speaking to us in food.”
Well, this burger is made without meat and I didn’t have a pickle on hand, BUT it’s super close to being the perfect vegan burger.
Jackfruit has a great texture: really soft and delicate, yet it’s chewy and has a nice feel. The Barbecue sauce adds a great flavor but isn’t too much. I also like other patties, but these jackfruit ones top them all. If you haven’t tried Jackfruit yet – do it! It’s so delicious and it’s a really nice addition to your diet. You can find it online and in some shops (e.g. Asian supermarkets). For this savory way of cooking Jackfruit, it’s important to use the young, unripe Jackfruit, because it doesn’t taste sweet and takes in the flavor of the marinade.
Young Jackfruit is really low in calories (just 22kcal in 100g), has low amounts of fat and carbohydrates, but more than 6g of fiber on 100g. I really like that it’s not as processed and full of additives as other meat replacement products.
If you prefer gluten-free food, you could swap the buns for gluten-free ones or even eat it as a deconstructed burger without the bun. I like to serve it with crispy potatoes.
Have you tried Jackfruit yet? Did you like it?
Jackfruit Burger Pulled Pork Style
30 Minutes 2 Servings
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 handful of arugula (or other greens)
- 1 Avocado (thinly sliced or mashed up)
- 2 Burger buns (or more, depending on your appetite)
- optional: 2 slices of vegan Cheese
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 6 Tbsp Barbecue sauce
- 1 Can Jackfruit (drained weight: 225g)
- to taste: ketchup, mustard, aioli
- Drain the Jackfruit.
- Heat up the oven to 180°C
- In a pan, heat up the oil and roast the garlic and the onions.
- Add the Jackfruit to the pan and roast. Then, add the 10 Tbs of barbecue sauce.
- Fill the Jackruit mixture in a baking dish and pull the Jackfruit into fibrous, pulled-style pieces (works best with a fork). Bake it for about 10 minutes at 180°C to let the marinade pull through.
- End with heating the buns up in the oven for a short amount of time and serve the burgers with ketchup, aioli, mustard, jackfruit, arugula, vegan cheese, and tomatoes.
A matching side dish would be crispy potatoes or french fries.